Basketball is a fast-paced team game loved by many. The game is played by two teams comprising five players who move on the court with the aim to shoot a ball through the hoop. The hoop is at an elevated height that is usually around 10 feet from the ground. Basketball requires a lot of athleticism because it is a physically demanding sport. You need to be in good shape to handle the challenges of basketball.
If you are the sort who is always on his/her toes and quite active then this sport is perfect for you. But that is not all you need. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into improving your basketball skills and being good at the game. Also you need to have a good understanding of it. Let's find out what you need to be a good basketball player.
- First and foremost you need to improve your quickness and agility.
- Speed has to be worked on, along with coordination and balance. To build endurance you can go for regular runs.
- To be a professional player you need to go through different training drills and exercises that includes practicing hand alignment on the ball, working on dunking, layups and vertical jumps.
- Apart from these, a player can work on any specific area of the sport like passing, defense, dribbling or shooting and learning to jump higher. It is best to master a specific skill and then move on to others. Find a coach to guide you and help you take your game to the next level. However, you can also learn a lot by studying other players.
Now let's move on to the products required for basketball.
- Basketball Shoes
- A Ball
Invest in a good pair of shoes that lets you move around with ease and is comfortable. You will be doing a lot of running and jumping so find something that has cushioning and offer support to your feet. A bad shoe choice can increase the risk of injury.
The basketball you buy depends on your age, game level, playing environment and sex. Those who are beginners or training or are occasional players need not spend a lot of money on the ball. The quality of a ball you buy will also be determined by the leather or the type of material used.
Serious players can select from the three sizes that are commonly available and used by basketball players..
- Size 5 is meant for children till 11 years of age because it weighs 18 oz and measures 27.75" in circumference. When training it is advised to choose a ball that is according to the size of the hands because it gives better control to the player.
- Size 6 is used by women or children ranging from 11 to 14 years of age. It has a circumference of 28.5" and is 20oz in weight.
- Size 7 is for males above 14 years. It comes with a circumference of 28.5" and weighs 20 oz.
You can find numerous hoops from portable, wall mounted, semi-portable to permanent in-ground ones. When buying a hoop a lot of factors come into play. You need to consider the installation type, backboard size and material, height adjustment feature and the rim. Be clear on what you want and do your homework before you go to buy the basketball products.